Ko Kohukohunui te Maunga
   
Ko Wairoa te Awa
   
Ko Maraetai te Moana
   
Ko Tainui te Waka
   
Ko Ngai Tai te Iwi
   
Ko Umupuia te Marae
   
Ko Ngeungeu te Whare Tupuna
   
Ko Tara Te Irirangi te Ariki ki runga
   
Ko Raukohekohe te Whare kai
   
Ko St Marys te Whare karakia
   
 
Maraetai - Umupuia circa.1882
   
The Marae at Umupuia is the Mana Whenua Marae of the Ngai Tai Iwi of Umupuia and Tamaki Makaurau. It is situated on ancestral land at Umupuia adjacent to the Wairoa River with Umupuia Beach immediately in front and hundreds of acres of Ngahere (native bush) behind, and as such is unique in the Auckland area.
 
 
 
 
The relationship of Ngai Tai to the Wairoa river and its surrounds has been acknowledged in the Environmental Court as ‘exceptional’ and should be recognised as a matter of national importance. This was due to a long court case in which Ngai Tai were successful in opposing the canal development on their ancestral river.
 
 
Umupuia circa. 1904
 
Roopu that administer Umupuia Marae on behalf of the Ngai Tai Umupuia beneficiaries are;
Maraetai 3B2 Whenua Trust
Ngai Tai Iwi Umupuia Marae Komiti
 
 
 
 
Whatapaka Marae is a poukai Marae and is the ancestral Marae of Ngati Tamaoho. According to archeologists it has an occupational history of over 1000 years. The Marae was also reserved for the use of Ngati Tamaoho, Ngai Tai and Ngati Koheriki. It is situated in Karaka and can be reached via Whatapaka Road which leads down to the bank of the Whatapaka awa. The reservation of the Marae Papakainga is almost on the mouth of the awa leading into the Manukau Harbour. Over the centuries there has been many Marae sited around Whatapaka creek going south to where the old Kingseat Hospital was sited.
 
 
Despite the small size of the reservation there is much activity. There are nine dwellings in the Papakainga stretching along the bank of Whatapaka creek from the Marae to the end of the reservation. There is a landing place/slip for Whatapaka whanui waka at end of reservation. As well as the wharenui there are two wharemoe, wharekai that sits approx 270, the kitchen and kauta including carving shed.
 
 
The legal description of the Marae reservation is Parish of Karaka Lot 64D and was set aside as a Māori reservation on 7th May 1970 for the following purpose(s); A meeting place and burial ground for the members of Ngati Tamaoho, Koheriki and Ngai Tai Tribes and Maori generally.
 
 
The use of the reservation was later redefined in 1982 as a meeting place, burial ground and village site for the common use and benefit of the members of the Ngati Tamaoho, Koheriki and Ngaitai tribes and Maori in general. This was gazetted on January 21th 1982, Volume two, page 275.
 
 
From the 1960s up to the 1990s Whatapaka creek a traditional fishery of Ngati Tamaoho was depleted by Commercial fisher persons. A recommendation of the Waitangi Tribunal that heard the Te Puaha ki Manuka (Huakina Development Trust) Manuka Harbour 1984 Claim stated Whatapaka creek should be returned to Tamaoho for their exclusive use. This did not eventuate so in 1991 Whatapaka Marae community applied to the Maori Land Court for the Whatapaka awa to be reserved as a fishery reservation for the people of Whatapaka. This was gazetted in 17 December 1991.
 
 

The December 14th 1991 New Zealand Gazette notice reads;

“Setting Apart Crown Land as a Maori Reservation.

Notice is hereby given that by virtue of sections 439a and 439 of the Maori Affairs Act 1953 and pursuant to a recommendation of the Maori Land Court the area of Crown land described in the Schedule hereto is hereby set apart as a Maori reservation for the purpose of a landing place of historic spiritual and cultural significance for the common use and benefit of the hapu of Whatapaka Marae o Tainui. Dated at Wellington this 17th day of December 1991.”